XLPE Project Spotlight
Experts in Power Systems
Electric utility companies and independent power producers consistently turn to W.A. Chester for dependable underground transmission and distribution expertise. As our nation’s need to expand and harden the grid is on the rise, so is the development of advanced cable technologies and the efficiency of installation techniques. W.A. Chester is experienced in establishing a resilient and reliable electric system with all types of underground transmission cables, ranging from XLPE, HPFF to superconductors. We are one of the few contractors who can support all types of underground cable systems.
Today, we would like to feature our work as a leading, turnkey service provider of XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) cable systems. We perform this type of work on a national basis and have the capability to install, procure the cable, and manage the installation of the conduit while providing the best solutions based on our customer’s needs. We understand the challenges facing overhead and underground cable systems in our country and we know how to deliver the solutions to execute successful high voltage cable projects.
Line Rebuild Worcester to Ocean City, MD
Location: Ocean City, MD
Project Goals: Replacement of existing aged circuit which was struggling to support Ocean City resort town growth loading.
Completion Date: 2019
- 1 mile, 138kV XLPE cable installation utilizing a 54” HDD bore under the Bay of Wight
- 3,700 ft horizontal directional drill under the Bay of Wight and pullback of a 36-inch fusible PVC casing.
- Energization of the 69kv circuit, installed 6 new terminations, 2 new splices and almost 3 miles of new XLPE cable in duct bank and HDD conduits
Buzzard Point Substation Project
Location: Washington, DC
Project Goals: The circuit is the feed to the new Buzzard Point Substation that was constructed to support the Audi Soccer Stadium and other new developments in the DC area.
Completion Date: 2018
- Installation of a 138kV XLPE triplex cable into an 8 5/8” steel pipe
- The cable was manufactured by Sumitomo in Japan. WAC sent splicers to Japan to become certified in splicing the Sumitomo cable
- WA Chester hired and managed the Civil Contractor and all aspects of the project
Wolf Bay 115kV Underground Crossing
Location: Orange Beach, Alabama
Project Goals: Storm hardening to protect against hurricanes, storm surges and withstand tropical storm strength winds.
Completion Date: 2013
- 6,131 ft – the longest XLPE cable pull attempted in conduit in the US at the time was installed under the Wolf Bay
- Installation of 13,000 feet of fiber optic cable and a total of eight terminations
If you want to learn more about our XLPE installation capabilities, call us today (240)-487-1940.