PROJECT ENGINEER – UNDERGROUND HIGH VOLTAGE
This position will report to the VP Underground Transmission and be responsible for directing and
coordinating construction, installation, maintenance, and testing activities to ensure compliance with
specifications, codes, and customer requirements. The position will require interaction and, on the job,
training due to the specialty nature of W.A. Chester’s high voltage work. It is not expected that the
incumbent would be an expert on all aspects of the position, rather, the incumbent should be a “good
student” and work with the existing technical support staff as well as craft personnel to learn the
business and the many technical nuances of the work.
Charles Town, WV
- Collect dimensional information in the field to layout components and fixtures required to safely and
successfully install cable into pipes.
- Use Chester’s unique tools such as the Advanced Mapping probe and Camera Pigs to assure piping
is satisfactory for the installation of cable. This includes running the equipment and analyzing the
data and video.
- Assist Chester’s welders with a resolution of interferences and unexpected conditions by calculating
new bends & create new piping layouts from scratch.
- Use and improve Chester’s complex Excel models for translating dimensional information collected
with the Advanced Mapping Probe to pulling tensions and sidewall pressures.
- Use and improve Chester’s complex Excel model for setting up plans for installing cable fluid in the
pipe systems without subjecting the cable and accessories to rapid pressure changes.
- Learn and expand on Chester’s formal and informal means and methods for performing fieldwork
and become familiar enough with the many constraints in play to be able to adapt our method for a
particular project task to unique or unusual constraints.
- Become an expert on the safety challenges faced by Chester and always be mindful of the actions (or
lack thereof) by Chester’s field forces in complying with established requirements as well as noting
non-compliance to individuals and management. Propose new processes and procedures where an
opportunity may exist to reduce risks.
- Assist in the design and fabrication of new hardware for use on Chester’s projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects.
- Design, implement and improve electrical systems for utility purposes.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering
- Direct and coordinate construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, and testing
activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish construction and installation standards and
- Plan and implement methodologies and procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to
- Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment purchase or modification.
- When needed direct and/or train project team members as necessary.
- Oversee project construction efforts to assure projects are completed satisfactorily, on time and
- Prepare and study technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, and topographical maps to
ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Investigate customer complaints, determine the nature and extent of the problem, and recommend remedial
- Plan layout of electric power generating infrastructure, distribution lines, transmission lines and
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment and major repairs.
- Conduct field surveys and study maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct any
- Maintain a high level of integrity and discipline with a strong work ethic.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Must have knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes
applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods
and services. Must have knowledge of drafting and experience with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office.
Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the team.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required (electrical preferred)
Professional Engineering License, or the capacity to obtain one, is preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential
tasks. Ability to perform low-impact physical tasks. May involve lifting of up to 50 lbs. Must be able to
remain in a stationary position for up to 70% of the time. The person in the position needs to occasionally
move about inside and outside from the office to the field.
Travel will be required.
May have supervisory responsibilities.
LICENSING OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid driver’s license is required
- A professional engineer’s license is preferred
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resume including a cover letter to HR@WAChester.com
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.