PROJECT ENGINEER – UNDERGROUND HIGH VOLTAGE
This position will report to the VP Underground Transmission and be responsible for directing and coordinating construction, installation, maintenance, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes and customer requirements. The position will require interaction and, on the job, training due to the specialty nature of W.A. Chester’s high voltage work. It is not expected that the incumbent would be an expert on all aspects of the position, rather, the incumbent should be a “good student” and work with the existing technical support staff as well as craft personnel to learn the business and the many technical nuances of the work.
REPORTS TO (Title): V.P. Underground Transmission
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
- Collect dimensional information in the field to layout components and fixtures required to safely and successfully install cable into pipes.
- Use Chester’s unique tools such as the Advanced Mapping probe and Camera Pigs to assure piping is satisfactory for the installation of cable. This includes running the equipment and analyzing the data and video.
- Assist Chester’s welders with resolution of interferences and unexpected conditions by calculating new bends & create new piping layouts from scratch.
- Use and improve Chester’s complex Excel models for translating dimensional information collected with the Advanced Mapping Probe to pulling tensions and sidewall pressures.
- Use and improve Chester’s complex Excel model for setting up plans for installing cable fluid in the pipe systems without subjecting the cable and accessories to rapid pressure changes.
- Learn and expand on Chester’s formal and informal means and methods for performing field work and become familiar enough with the many constraints in play to be able to adapt our method for a particular project task to unique or unusual constraints.
- Become expert on the safety challenges faced by Chester and always be mindful of the actions (or lack there-of) by Chester’s field forces in complying with established requirements as well as noting non-compliance to individuals and management. Propose new processes and procedures where an opportunity may exist to reduce risks.
- Assist in the design and fabrication of new hardware for use on Chester’s projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects.
- Design, implement, and improve transmission systems for utility purposes.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Direct and coordinate construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish construction and installation standards and specifications.
- Plan and implement methodologies and procedures to apply principles of physics to engineering projects.
- Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment purchase or modification.
- When needed direct and/or train project team members as necessary.
- Oversee project construction efforts to assure projects are completed satisfactorily, on time and within budget.
- Prepare and study technical drawings, and specifications specifications of electrical systems, to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Investigate customer complaints, determine nature and extent of problem, and recommend remedial measures.
- Plan layout of transmission lines and substations.
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment and major repairs.
- Conduct field surveys and study maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct any potential problems.
- Maintain a high level of integrity and discipline with a strong work ethic.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Must have knowledge of drafting and experience with computer aided design software and Microsoft Office. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Preference for 5-10 years experience with underground cable installation.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required.
Professional Engineering License, or the capacity to obtain one, is preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks. Ability to perform low impact physical tasks. May involve lifting of up to 50 lbs. Must be able to remain in a stationary position for up to 70% of the time. The person in the position needs to occasionally move about inside and outside from the office to the field.
Travel will be required.
May have supervisory responsibilities.
LICENSING OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid driver’s license is required
- A professional engineer’s license is preferred
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resume including a cover letter to HR@WAChester.com
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.